The more rewriting that I do on Hive Mind the more this first draft feels like a prose form outline.
What does that mean to me:
- Most of the action is blocked in
- All of the major story points have been written in some form. The chain reaction goes rather neatly from Point A to Point Z. The plot is fully present though perhaps in a bare bones state. That leads to what is missing.
- Missing Pieces:
- Character motivations that lead to those plot developments. I need to flesh out the characters and their wants and needs so that they aren't making choices just because it makes a better story. Many of these characters have other options so they need strong and compelling reasons to make the choices that they do.
- Character development in general. I'm missing the little quirks that make the characters human and easy to relate to. I also need to add in the little character interactions that make the building of the relationships between the characters clear.
- Technology and World-building. I need to sit down and really think through what makes this Steampunk Alternate History tick. I have a general idea in my head but I need to make it more detailed so that it can be consistently applied to the story. No inconsistencies allowed.
I have lots to work on but I've been falling back in love with this story, so it'll be fun!