Thursday, January 14, 2016

State of the Knitting: January 2016


I call this my Monster Blanket.  I've been working on it off and on for about 10 years. Unfortunately, blankets get to be a certain size and then they are no longer portable. Projects that aren't portable often get shuffled aside by projects that are.



Double sided Steampunk Scarf in Caron Simply Soft
I've done the drafting to create stitching patterns that should read as gears. This project is pretty far on the back burner but I definitely intend to get back to it.

Lions, Tigers and Bears Blanket, Free Pattern by Red Heart
Not technically knitting since this is a crochet pattern but I'm putting it here anyway. I made one of these to give to my niece for Christmas and it was so adorable that I started another one. It helps that the squares are a wonderfully portable project.


2015 High Temps Blanket, January-June in Red Heart Soft
I did two rows per day representing the high temperature of each day. This is the first half of the year and it got long enough that I decided to split the blanket into two parts. This half is off the needles and just needs to have the remaining ends sewn in to get removed from this list.


2015 High Temps Blanket, May-December in Red Heart Soft
Part two of this epic project is still on the needles and has lots of ends to be sewn it. I like that it has a very different color emphasis than the first half of the year. I'm still deciding whether or not to do a similar project for 2016


This one is a delayed Birthday Gift that I ran out of yarn and had to wait for more to complete. Sadly, it seems like this yarn is no longer available at retailers in my area.


This one is a delayed Christmas Gift. I can't tell if the pattern was a little weird or if it is just my inexperience with knitting garments but this isn't one of my favorites.


Elegant Lapghan in Unknown 
I needed something portable to work on that wasn't white at the same time that I really wanted to play with this yarn. I'm only using one strand instead of the two stated in the pattern so this should be a light and airy blanket.




















Chunky Braided Scarf in Lion Brand Homespun
Look! It's not another blanket! I really love this yarn. I adore the subtle color change and it's a fun yarn to work with.

My goal is to end 2016 with far fewer projects on needles, or at least to have a mostly new set of projects. Also, in the interest of being kind to myself, any Christmas knitting requests will need to be received before the end of the summer. Thanksgiving is way too late to start presents, especially as a full-time Medical Assistant and part-time student. Rushing that hard to complete a present after studying my brain out for finals is just not very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment